CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Civil War Journal Entry #2

Dear Journal,

I almost got killed in the middle of the battle! It all started when I began marching with my group up a hill somewhere in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania on July 1- 4. We were just walking and suddenly far in the distance I spotted a group of men in Grey Uniforms. Once I saw this I was terrified and told Major General George G. Meade immediately. He ordered us to hide behind nearby trees and get ready to fire, at the Confederate soldiers who I later found out were lead by General Robert E. Lee. Well, as the battle raged on General Lee ordered the Confederacy to fire until there were no more Union soldiers left. Our Union Major finally decided to retreat when nearly all our men were killed! As this happened, a Confederate soldier in regular plain clothing stared in the nearby bushes at me while holding a musket with a bayonet attached to it. I was terrified as he began walking out of the bushes with the sharp point about to stab me or shoot me to death. I started backing away from him slowly as my arms quivered from fright, while trying to steady my musket.
I suddenly tripped backwards over a hard rock and fell on my head just as he shot at me. The little musket ball hit my Navy Blue hat straight in the center where my forehead used to be, thank the lord for making me accidentally trip on that rock! Once that happened, my fellow Union allies found me lying on the floor, slightly dizzy at the moment. They shot the Confederate more than I could count, possibly 30 times but, for all I know he was definitely not going to get back up unless he is god! I still have a very big headache because I banged my head hard on the floor as I fell, so I can't say any more for today but, I will write back soon when I loose my headache and whenever I get these bandages off my forehead!

John

1 comments:

Ms. Sackstein said...

Great information, Rachel... I need to to break it up though. It is very hard to wade through the large amount of information. Consider shorter paragraphs.